In 1872 Colt entered the market for metallic cartridge revolvers by introducing
their factory-installed percussion-to-cartridge open top conversion of the 1861
Navy cap-and-ball revolver, followed quickly by the Richards-Mason conversion
of the 1860 Army the following year. Based on a patent held by Colt employees
Charles Richards and William Mason, the old cap and ball cylinders were cut
down at the back to allow the installation of a conversion ring to accept metallic
In addition to civilian orders, Colt received an Army contract in 1871 to convert
1,000 Model 1860 Army percussion revolvers to use the .44-caliber centerfire
cartridge being manufactured at the Frankford Arsenal. Eventually a total of
9,000 Open Tops and 2,100 Richards-Mason conversions were produced. Ultimately
thousands of the Colt and Remington converted percussion revolvers found their
way into the hands of sheriffs, outlaws, gunfighters, soldiers, cowboys, miners and ranchers throughout the Old West.
The conversion revolvers were also fitted with ejector rods, a necessity for removing fired casings from the cylinder. br>
The 1860 Conversion revolver frames had to be fitted with spacers in order to function properly and safely with the shortened cartridge conversion cylinders.
The frames on Ubertiís conversion revolvers are retro-fitted with loading gates to accommodate cartridges, exactly like the originals.